Monday, December 12, 2011

What happens if I use my debit card for something that costs more than I have on the card?

My work gives me a debit card instead of a paycheck, by the way.





Yeah, let's say I have 9 dollars on my debit card and what I want is 15 dollars..will it just take the 9 dollars and pend until I get paid again? What happens?|||Using a debit card, you can only spend what is available, so the (say) 15 dollars must have been in the account, unless you have an overdraft facility in place.|||It depends on how you have instructed your bank to deal with insufficient funds. I have mine reject the card. If I wouldn't, my bank would then charge me for insufficient funds and pay the debit if it was within a certain amount. They will also charge interest for the money they loaned me. Every time the bank tries to collect the money, I would get another charge. It can build up to quite a bit of $. I don't think I like the idea of a debit card for a paycheck. It would be difficult to keep track of the balance.|||It'll get declined unless there's overdraft protection on the account attached to the card. Over draft protection comes with additional fees|||Most likely it will decline the payment

No comments:

Post a Comment