Thursday, December 15, 2011

Is it unwise to make purchases on the internet with my visa debit card?

I've been using a credit card, but I want to change all my online purchases to my debit card. I've heard that you can't get that money back if there is a problem. Is that true? Is that unwise to do?|||Everyone these days has a pretty secure website. Just be sure and check your bank balance daily to be sure no one else is making charges on your card so you can catch it and dispute it so that the bank can find the person responsible. It is so convenient to pay for things over the internet and not have to leave your home. Jennifer|||Everything is the same as credit cards except that you liability on a debit card is limited to $50 while on a credit card your liability is $0|||I use my visa debit card all the time, it works fine, however just do not use it on sites that look suspisous or haven' been around long. Some of them are just fly-by-night operations looking to get your card info. but places like amazon, ebay, and target.com or wal-mart.com work fine.|||The best benefit is that if someone takes your credit card, you have no liability, but also you don't start bouncing checks from here to there.





If you pay on debit card and someone starts running amok, other bills you pay from your checking account may come up NSF, and you'll have penalties up the wazoo - even though you're only "liable" for a certain amount of the mis-charge, you are still fully liable for all of the bills you paid with insufficient charges.|||I use my debit card perennially...and I don't keep a credit card. You're right that you don't have the same fraud protection on a debit card as on a credit card. Therefore, only use your card on trusted sites. You can figure out a trusted site by checking to see that the url begins with "https" instead of just "http".


...and do stay away from tacky-looking sites.|||Well if the site you are buying from is secure than its safe..You can get the money back if there is a problem, yes. I use it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment